Emila lost her baby doll while we were on vacation and she would ask for it every day when we got home. So we needed a replacement. Baby Annabell is the new addition to our family.
And then I noticed Emila carrying her baby around in a bag with the straps around her shoulders like a baby carrier. She didn’t quite fit but it was sweet to see her imitating mama and papa.
So I thought I’d try this DIY baby doll carrier. I finished in an afternoon while she was out.
Cut out these pieces:
1- 6 1/2″ x 7 1/2″ (for the center)
2- 2 1/2″ x 7 1/2″ (for the sides)
2- 2 1/2″ x 9 1/2″ (for the top and bottom)
1- length of child’s waist plus 5″ x 5″
2- 5″ x 40″ (for the shoulder straps)
Keep another piece separate to be measured for the back section later on.
You can also use some quilting batting to give the carrier more support in the center.
- Sew 7 1/2″ strips to the 7 1/2″ sides of the center pieces. Press open.
- Sew the longer strips to the other sides and press open again.
- On the back side, fold down the top corners to the seam line and press. The shoulder straps will match here later.
- Use this piece to measure and cut out the back piece now.
- Cut out the batting in the same way but cut off 1/2″ around the edges.
- Fold the long strap pieces with right sides together and sew the length. Sew a point at one end, leave the other end open and turn. Press.
- Pin the strap pieces to the folded corners and fold (and pin) the straps up out of the way of the outside seam. Check out this picture just for the way to pin up the straps. I forgot to snap a pic of this step before sewing. :-/
- Pin the back piece on top, right sides together with the straps in between. Sew with a 1/2 seam allowance leaving the bottom edge open.
- Turn right side out and press.
- Place the batting inside.
- Top stitch around the edges or how you like to keep the batting in place.
- Fold the was it strap right sides together along the length. Measure 5″ from the center on both sides. Sew from the 5″ mark unto the ends and turn. Turn right side out and press.
- Put the bottom edge of the carrier in the opening to a 1/2″ and sew in place from and inch before to after.
- Sew velcro to the ends.
- Check out your work! Great job!
We tried to make a special day at the park when we showed it to Emila. Judging from the last few days where she asks to take her baby and ‘manduca‘ everywhere, I think she likes it.