For Guatemala week we tried out our modified version of Chiles Rellenos. I try to make dinner kids approved most night so we don’t have to cook twice. So this version is maybe a little less spicy than usual. But I would still recommend this way!
- Roast peppers at 500°F for 25 minutes turning every 5 minutes. Peel off skin. Cut 3-inch slit in each pepper and take out seeds.
- Turn oven to 425°F. Cook onion in oil over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add in zucchini and corn. Cook 5 more minutes. Put in a bowl and mix in shredded cheese
- Stuff each pepper with 1/2 c. of the mixture. Close together with toothpicks.
- Whisk the egg together with 1/2 c. water. Put breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl.
- Dip peppers in egg and coat with breadcrumbs. Put on being sheet.
- Bake for 15 to 25 minutes.
- Sauce: Cook onion, chili powder and cumin over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and simmer for 10 minutes. Blend until smooth.
- Serve with sauce, cilantro, lime and sour cream.