We made Dal Bhat as part of our Nepali food party one night. I thought it would be like a soup but it ended up thicker then I expected. It was still yummy mixed with rice and the chutney makes it not so dry.
1 c. lentils
1 T. oil
2 cloves minced garlic
1 small chopped onion
1/2 t. mustard seeds
1/2 t. tumeric
3/4 t. salt
1/2 t. cumin
1/2 t. coriander powder
1 medium diced tomato
1/2 T butter
2 T cilantro for garnish
- Wash lentils and soak overnight if possible.
- Prepare rice to cook so if will be finished at the same time.
- Chop onion. Mince garlic and ginger. Mix and set aside.
- Chop tomato and set aside.
- Chop cilantro
- Heat oil and fry onion, garlic and ginger on high for 1-2 minutes.
- Add in cumin, salt, tumeric, coriander and mustard seed and cook on medium for 2 minutes. Stir often
- Stir in tomatoes and butter. Cover and cook for 4 minutes
- Mix in lentils. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add in a cup of water. Cover and cook 5 minutes.
- Add in 2 more cups of water, cook for 10 more minutes.
- Turn off stove and sprinkle with cilantro.
- Serve with rice and Indian chutney as a complementary side.
Check out a little information on the country of Nepal and some of the other dishes we tried here!